25.6.08

Mission: Accomplished

So the haircut was a success. I ended up going to the little booth in Walmart, which was a first for me. I'm not a man of high class, but even I had turned my nose up at the Walmart Salon. But since there weren't any Supercuts around (my usual choice) I had to swallow some pride and bite the bullet.  It ended up working out just fine- I have less hair than I started with, that was my only goal.  And it only cost 8 bucks. 

Today I went perusing around local bookstores to find a bday gift for my sister. I found a couple of pretty cool-looking stores, but sadly nothing for my sister. As for myself, I eventually settled on two books; the new David Sedaris book and something called "Just Add Buddha", which teaches you how to apply Buddhist principles to your daily life. I am overjoyed that David Sedaris has put out a new book. As my second favorite author, I've probably read his books 10 times each.  If you ever get the chance to see him do a live reading, I highly recommend it.  When he came through Wichita on his last book tour it was one of the best live performances of anything I've ever seen (#3 on my List of Best Live Performances).  He was surprisingly lively, given the dry humor of his books. I was also surprised at how down to earth (what a cliche phrase that is) he seemed. For a New York socialite who spends half his year in France, he seemed genuinely pleased to be in Kansas for the day. And you could tell he really loves what he's doing for a living. 

Top 5 People I'd Like to Hear Speak (living or dead)
5.  Mark Twain
4. Ricky Gervais 
3. George Harrison
2. Kurt Vonnegut
1. Robert Kennedy, Jr. 

Here's a sublist to that-
Top 5 People With Pleasant Speaking Voices
5. Tim Curry
4. Adam West
3. Vincent Price 
2. Ian Mckellen
1. Dustin Hoffman

7 comments:

Dylan Lewis said...

I remember when David Sedaris came to Wichita... I had rehearsal that day and couldn't go.

Nobody was upset as I was.

Anonymous said...

How about Eddie Izzard for people to speak, and Morgan Freeman for speaking voice?

Anonymous said...

Not to put a damper on David Sedaris, but you might be interested in this: http://www.slate.com/id/2163957/

Anonymous said...

Oh and we heard RFK Jr. speak! Yahoo!

kt said...

Those are beautiful choices one your lists. Ricky Gervais aand Mark Twain... oh, they would do great things together.

I'm really excited about the new Sedaris book, because I saw him two Aprils ago right when he got back from Japan, and the stories were hilarious. I hope he wrote about how the Japanese barber had shit on his hands, or about his spider friend in France. I guess I'll find out soon!

I love your blog, Harrison.

TacoTown said...

Dylan R- Yes, those are both good choices. They would make the list if it was a top ten.
Lauren- That's a great article. You always have to wonder about embellishes and little white lies, especially with someone like Sedaris. But I like to think he tells the same amount of truth in his books as he would just retelling the story to one of his friends. He just has an over exaggerated type of personality I think.

TacoTown said...

Katie- Yes, both of those stories are in the book!