18.6.08

China; Holy Shit

I highly suggest you take some time to read these article from the New York Times if you haven't already.  Story
It's about China's unstoppable army of Olympic rowers, and how they are being trained to totally dominate the competition and take home a shit ton of gold medals.  It's intense. I swear, it's like something straight out of Rocky IV (or III? I always get them switched around). The athletes train together on a 10 billion dollar government-owned facility which includes medical labs, clinics, and over 100 boats.  It even has it's own secret code-wordy name, The 119 Project. And who runs the place? Igor Grinko, a world-renown Russian coach who led the Soviets to Olympic victory many years ago.  
I'm not one for sports (I've actually never watched the Olympics before), but I will be interested to see how China does, and what will happen if they don't bring home as many medals as they are expecting.  

No comments: