29.6.08

Freegan Freakout

It was a pretty interesting weekend. 
Friday Jill and I went to a Freegan potluck that her coworker hosted at his house.  Technically it was a warehouse, but I'll get to that in a minute.  For those of you unaware of the term freegan, let me sum it up for you- they eat out of the garbage. A freegan is someone who gets all or most of his food out of garbage bins and dumpsters. Unlike hobos and tramps, who do this out of necessity, freegrans do it of their own free will, for a wide variety of reasons; to protest the wasting of food, our capitalist economy, even the price-gouging of supermarkets.  I am a big supporter of the freegan ideals. As someone trying to minimize his footprint on the world, I can't imagine a better way to do that than this. When pressed to pick a reason why I wasn't a freegan, I always thought it was simply because of the germs I'd be introduced to. But after giving it more thought, I think the reason I never got into it is because I'd miss all the food that wasn't in the trash. I know I could survive off of whatever I find in the bins, but think of how much wouldn't end up there! I'd be giving up cookies and muffins and soda and sliced cheese; all the foods that taste so good there's never any left to throw away. Once again it seems my gluttony has come in handy. Jill and I spent friday afternoon boning up on the ideas and culture of freegans in order to prepare ourselves for our initiation into their lifestyle. 
Now about his warehouse. When I heard he lived in an abandoned warehouse, I first imagined it to be a leaky, smelly, dimly lit stank-hole full of hobo poop and broken glass. Once we got there, I was pleasantly surprised. It was most certainly a warehouse, but he had fixed it up quite nicely. Apparently the place had been lived in for the last 6 years or so, and it had a revolving door policy in regards to its inhabitants. (I guess when you are squatting you don't need to worry about silly things like leases and rent) Considering it is an abandoned warehouse, it was very nice. 
The potluck turned out to be a lot of fun. Everyone was very very kind and talkative.  The food looked tasty- there was a chinese noodle dish, some scallop potatoes, and some Vegan brownies among other things.  I enjoyed everything that I tried. And, three days later, I still haven't thrown up, so I've guess they picked from the right dumpster.

The Fall
Last night we went and saw a movie called The Fall. If you haven't seen it, or more than likely, haven't heard of it, check it out now. We were in the movie mood and decided to see what was playing. We had our choice between Get Smart, Wanted, and the Fall, so we decided to look into it. Just a few seconds into the trailer I realized that it was the movie for me.  It was done by the same guy who did The Cell, which I never saw but looked like a real eye-popper.  Seriously guys, go do yourself a favor and check out the trailer.  The movie itself was, as Jill put it, "over-stimulating, but in a really nice way." I loved it, and would have gladly watched over again from start to finish if all the bright colors hadn't drained me of my will to blink. I think by the time it comes out on dvd my eyes will be back to their old selves and I can enjoy it once again.

No comments: