13.1.10

Cat Scratch Fever

My cat is bored. I think he's developed cabin fever because of the cold weather. Usually he spends a third of the day outside, doing lord knows what. But since the snow started falling he's been confining himself indoors, and I think it's taking its toll. He just walks around the apt, being crabby and meowing. He sits by the edge of the couch and stares up at me expectantly, as if it's suddenly my job to keep him entertained.

I thought the whole allure of having a cat was they would keep themselves busy. Unlike dogs, who crave and require attention, (and permission to use the bathroom) cats seem to have their own agenda most of the time. Unless the food bowl is empty or the litter box runeth over, my cat doesn't find much time to hang out with me. He'll usually end up in my bed, but I get the feeling that has more to do with the softness of the blankets than the pleasure of my company.

So I've been trying to keep his spirits up: I brought out a scratching pad full of catnip. I let him get into the cabinets he thinks will be interesting, but then quickly grows bored once he views the contents. I point out things around the apartment he might not have smelled yet; "How about that book?" I ask, "Have you smelled that book yet? I bet it smells interesting."

Overall, this experience has taught me 2 things. One, my apartment is somehow big enough for me, but not big enough for my cat. I'd find that fact depressing if I wasn't so impressed. Secondly, I have completely lost my ability to "play". I can't figure out how to keep a cat interested in a game of tug of war, or catch the string. Even with the aid of expensive cat toys, his interest wanes after the first couple of minutes. It's the same reason I'm terrible around children. My brain can't work on their level, making an adventure out of Barbies and GI Joes. It must be one of those "Use it or Lose it" skills that just didn't progress past middle school.

I don't feel too sorry for my cat though. He's 7 years old, you'd think he would have developed a sense of seasons by now.

No comments: